Steering Committee

Steering Committee

The SoCoSA Steering Committee (Board) sometimes actually puts content up.

SoCoSA on hold

UPDATE January 2009: We’re restarting the group, largely due to a generous offer of help from two people who’ve offered to do a bunch of talks.

Hey everybody,

It seems that the current management of SoCoSA doesn’t have time/energy to continue running the group. We didn’t have a speaker last month and we’re not set up to have a speaker for tonight’s meeting. I’m figuring that means there’s no meeting tonight.

If somebody else feels up to taking on the reins, I’d be happy to assist. Otherwise, I think we’re going to have to declare the group as “on hold” for now.

One of the board members has indicated that they expect to have more time in a few months, so I’m not going to call it “defunct”, just “on hold”.

Board Minutes 2007-08-27

Officers – The Board decided the following board members would perform the following functions

  • President – Eric Eisenhart
  • Vice Presidet – Chris Wagner
  • Secretary/Treasurer – Susan Baur
  • Webmaster – Ryan Donham

Future Speakers

  • Ryan will present on Smoothwall next week
  • Augie will present on MySQL replication in October
  • November – we still need a speaker
  • December – we still need a speaker
  • January – we will not have a meeting since it falls on New Year’s Day
  • Ryan has some contacts and will try to get a forensics/security speaker lined up

Board Minutes 2007-05-22

Board Members Present – Eric, Susan
Guest – Kat

Meeting giveaways

  • Susan procured the following from O’Reilly for raffle prizes
    • Linux System Administration
    • Windows Develop Power Tools
    • Linux Server Hacks Vol. 1
  • Linux Server Hacks Vol. 2

Electing the board

  • We Need to announce that Nominations will open in the June meeting
  • Nominations will be accepted through emailing the discuss list

Geek Picnic aka Geeknik?

  • “Picn*x 16”, will be held in August 2007”, so it does not conflict with a possible geek picnic at the end of July
  • Kat will ask NBLUG if they will join us in a geek picnic
  • We should ask perlmongers as well
  • We need to determine a location

Upcoming meetings

  • June: Drupal
  • July: PowerDNS
  • August:
  • September:
  • October: MySQL Replication
  • November:
  • December:
  • Other possibilities:
    • Building RPMs (AS, EE)
  • Subversion (AS)

Board Minutes 2007-04-23

Board Members Present – Eric, Chris, Dustin, Susan
Guest – Kat

Electing the board

  • Election structure. Members vote for positions? Members vote for board members and the board votes who takes the various positions?
    • Decided that Members vote for the board and the elected board will decide who talkes the various positions
    • Board count (3? 4? 5? formula based on roster count?)
    • Decided we should have 4 on the board
    • Board positions (Pres, VP, Treasurer, Secretary, etc…)
    • President, Vice President, Secretary and a Webmaster
    • Term lengths. 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?
    • 1 year
  • How much of the board to elect at once? whole board every time? half the board to keep some continuity?

Board Meeting

When
2007/05/22 - 6:30pm
2007/05/22 - 8:00pm

Speaker

Details

Regular schedule for board meetings is the 4th monday of every month. Open to all SoCoSA members/attendees, but location may vary. If you’re interested in attending, please email steering@socosa.org and we’ll make sure you know the location.

Note to content editors: please clone into future before putting agenda here.


read more ... (location details, map link, etc...)

Board Meeting

When
2007/04/23 - 6:30pm
2007/04/23 - 8:00pm

Speaker

Details

Agenda:

  • Electing the board
    • Election structure. Members vote for positions? Members vote for board members and the board votes who takes the various positions?
    • Board count (3? 4? 5? formula based on roster count?)
    • Board positions (Pres, VP, Treasurer, Secretary, etc…)
    • Term lengths. 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?
    • How much of the board to elect at once? whole board every time? half the board to keep some continuity?
    • How to hold elections? Online? At meetings?
    • schedule? I’m thinking something arbitrary based somewhat around when we’ve got things together enough to hold elections, like “The June Meeting”.
    • Who should be on steering (board) list? Just the actual elected board? The elected board and appointees? One list for each?
    • Upcoming meetings
    • May: Cobia
    • June: Drupal
    • July: PowerDNS
    • August:
    • September:
    • October: MySQL Replication
    • November:
    • December:
  • Other possibilities:


read more ... (location details, map link, etc...)

Board Minutes 2007-03-12

Board Members Present: Eric, Chris and Susan

Speakers

  • April Meeting - Electronic Frontier Foundation: Sysadmins as Guardians of Privacy
  • May Meeting - Cobia: Networking and Security (Pizza and Soda provided)
  • We need another backup speaker - Chris could do a talk on Moving web services from Windows to Linux
  • Susan will look into getting some slides on WebGUI and might be able to present

Increasing Meeting Attendance

  • Chris will speak with Mark S. at the JC about promoting SoCoSA to CS students
  • Susan will speak with Roger M. at SSU about promoting SoCoSA to CS students

Getting more people involved

  • Create Bylaws, based on other groups' bylaws
  • Hold Elections for Board Positions

Board Meeting

When
2007/03/12 - 6:00pm
2007/03/12 - 7:00pm

Speaker

Details
  • Upcoming meetings
    • April: EFF
    • May: Cobia?
    • June:
    • July:
    • August:
    • September:
  • finding speakers
  • How can we increase attendance?
  • How can we get more people to help out?
  • Other items?

read more ... (location details, map link, etc...)